Thursday 5 July 2007

Lockwood signing does not make it all right

What's this I hear you cry? A new signing? Yes, at last we have a new face. And yes, he's a defender (god damn it), and yes, he's over 30, but judging by people's comments on the forum, Matt Lockwood will do a good job for us.

I do like the sound of him, actually. Last season he scored 11 goals from left back for Leyton Orient, including one against us when we played them back in April. If he replicates that kind of form at Forest, then it will give us another attacking dimension. Lockwood and Commons should link up very well together.

This piece of news means that Forest will not be asking Alan Wright to stay on. He did a pretty good job for us towards the end of last season - apart from that own goal against Yeovil, that is – but he is getting on a bit now, and he doesn't score goals like Lockwood does, so I am not bothered that we are letting him go.

I am not sure where this leaves Julian Bennett. I personally thought he was alright, but Calderwood doesn't seem to rate him, so I don't really see a future at Forest for him at the moment, which is quite a shame as he is from the area, and is only young with plenty of time to improve.

I hope we now concentrate on signing a right back and a right winger. I am glad John Curtis has gone, as I never felt that his heart was in it anyway, and I hate ex-Man United players, but if Calderwood doesn't get a move on and sign somebody soon, I am going to start panicking. The right side of our team is almost non-existent at the moment, and it must be sorted soon.

The season is only five weeks away, but the pre-season games are just around the corner, and they still don't have any idea what the team is going to be. This happens every summer now. Forest's preparations for the new season have been very poor for the past few years, and I am sure it's no coincidence that this has coincided with the worst period in their history.

No comments: