Wednesday 29 August 2007

Abandonment was annoying, but totally understandable

I don't think I'll forget last night in a hurry. It might have only been a second round League Cup match, but it was one of the most dramatic matches I've ever been to in my life, and it all happened away from the pitch.

As soon as the tannoy announced that the second half had been delayed by 15 minutes, alarm bells started ringing. I feared that something must have happened in the dressing rooms, and as it transpired, something very bad had. My first thoughts were was it one of the Forest players? When I found out it was Leicester, I will admit that I was relieved. Anyone would be the same with their own families, and Forest are like my extended family. But then all my thoughts turned to the Leicester player, later revealed to be Clive Clarke, a player who we actually were reportedly interested in signing from Stoke a few years ago. There were scenes of terrible panic in the tunnel area, as the Leicester players waited outside their changing room while Clarke was resuscitated for heart failure.

Thankfully, by the time the ambulance took him to the Queens Medical Centre, he was conscious and sitting up, but understandably the match had to be abandoned as there was no way that the Leicester players, and maybe even the Forest players could have continued.

It was dreadfully annoying for the game to be abandoned after a brilliant first half from Forest in which we took a 1-0 lead through Junior Agogo. My dad and I had wasted a two-hour car journey from Bedford, but I'm not going to moan about it too much. A footballer, a human being, very nearly died last night, and despite what a moronic minority think, it was absolutely the right decision to call the game off.

I'm not, however, going to forget Forest's great first half display. We totally dominated the game and made Leicester look rubbish. We looked like the Championship side, who had just won 4-1 at home. We passed the ball around superbly, the defence was watertight, and heck, we even scored a goal, although it will obviously be wiped out now. Doh!

I was really impressed with Luke Chambers, both defensively and as an attacking player. To say he was playing out of position at right back, he did a very good job there. He was excellent on Saturday against Leeds, and his crossing is very good. Maybe he can play at right back after all. He certainly does a better job than John Curtis ever did. But his best position is still as a centre back, even though it doesn't look like Colin Calderwood has plans to play him there what with Kelvin Wilson and Wes Morgan forming a good understanding there, and Ian Breckin (damn it), returning from injury soon.

If Breckin gets back in the team, it will be criminal. We've only conceded two goals in five matches this season, and I'm pretty sure Breckin not playing has something to do with it. It really would be silly to bring him back. Wilson and Morgan are doing a good job right now, so if it a'int broke, don't fix it.

Kris Commons also had a good game, and about time, too. But then, it was a cup match. He always raises his game in the knock-out competitions. I just wish he did it in every match, because when Commons is on fire, the whole team seems to be. But whether that's because Forest are playing well, or despite it, I'm not sure. Perhaps he just needs to be part of an exciting attacking team. Maybe I've been a bit too harsh on him?

The match will be replayed in three weeks' time on the 18th September. No doubt Leicester will win now. That's the way these things usually work out, isn't it? So, instead of bemoaning the fact that we were denied the chance to dump our East Midlands rivals out of the League Cup, let's enjoy our 45-minute display and hope that Forest carry on where they left off when they travel to Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

No comments: