Wednesday 5 September 2007

No need to cry over spilt paint

Let me get one thing straight. Last night's defeat in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy doesn't bother me at all. I am glad we're out of this pointless and stupid competition, and hope (but doubt), that we won't have to play in it again.

But it was the manner in which we threw away the game that has made me absolutely livid, and made me reach the conclusion that Colin Calderwood has no future at the Club whatsoever.

As Forest were still seeking their first win before the Peterborough game, it was an ideal opportunity to put in a good performance and get into a winning habit, but it soon became apparent that was not going to be the case as the first half hour was absolutely dire. The players from both sides couldn't have made their feelings about playing in this competition more obvious.

However, the second half was rather exciting, and became rather farcical when Luke Chambers, a central defender playing right back, managed to score a hat-trick. Well, sort of. He had put us in front after 33 minutes, and after the break in a crazy three-minute spell, Peterborough equalised, only for Chambers to immediately restore our lead with his second of the night. But no sooner had he celebrated that, when he went up the other end and put through his own net, and Peterborough went on to score another and dump Forest out of the competition at the first hurdle. Oh well, we'll live!

Forest did have a few players missing last night, but that's no excuse. The side we put out was still good enough to beat a League Two side. Both Nathan Tyson and Junior Agogo were up front, although you wouldn't know it. I am not exaggerating when I say that I didn't hear their names mentioned on the radio except when the teams were read out. It wasn't really their fault, though, as they didn't get any decent service as per usual.

The defence was shocking. Wes Morgan and Ian Breckin as a central defensive partnership is a disaster waiting to happen. Thank God for Kelvin Wilson. He didn't play last night because he had a virus, but he definitely deserves his place in the team. Who partners him, though, is anybody's guess, as Morgan, Breckin, and Chambers all have their weaknesses.

It's two weeks until the next match, and thank god for that. Forest are doing my head in right now, and I need a break from them. If there's one good thing to come out of Forest's slump into oblivion, it's that I've realised there is so much more to life than football. I have had to find new hobbies to keep me happy, and as a result I find it easy to switch off from Forest these days. I refuse to spend my days crying over a silly football team any more. Don't get me wrong, I love Forest to bits, but there's only so much despair I can take. I am going to make myself ill if I fret over them all the time, and I just don't think it's worth it.

No comments: