Sunday 11 November 2007

Not my Cup of tea

I'm not going to lie. I am not interested in the FA Cup unless we get to play a big team like Chelsea, or we get to the late stages.
I think it's just a big waste of time for clubs like us, and is only really important to very small clubs and the massive teams, who stand a chance of winning it. For the likes of we middle-sized clubs, it's just an annoying distraction that we could do without.

The competition used to be magical, and it used to be one of my life's ambitions to see us win it, but it's become so devalued over the past few years, that now when we get knocked out of it, I don't feel upset at all.

Yes, a good cup run has its financial rewards, which may come in handy for boosting the transfer coffers, but Forest rarely progress much beyond the third or fourth round these days, and if last year's non-performance at Chelsea was anything to go by, I'd rather we just went out in the first or second round instead of embarrassing ourselves on national TV.

I am really struggling to say anything about the Lincoln match. All I can say is I am glad I didn't go. It sounded really boring on the radio. A typical FA Cup first round match, I suppose. If Forest had bothered to step out of first gear, they would probably have finished the job. Now we have another pointless game we could do without at the City Ground. I personally would let the first teamers have a rest and play the reserves. At least they will play with a bit of passion in a bid to impress Colin Calderwood.

Personally, I just can't wait to get back to what really matters – namely the pursuit of League One points. The Carlisle game has been postponed due to international call-ups, so we don't have a match next weekend. This means that the Crewe game a week later will be our fourth consecutive home match. You would expect us to take maximum points from that, and hopefully we won't have lost much ground owing to the cancellation of our game next weekend.

No comments: