Wednesday 12 December 2007

I never wanted to play Liverpool anyway

The fact that we are out of the FA Cup doesn't bother me in the slightest. And I'm not really that upset that we won't get a chance to pit our wits against the mighty Liverpool, either. We would only have been a laughing stock on national TV, just like we were at Chelsea last season. And god knows what a heavy defeat against the Scousers would have done for our confidence.

What does bother me, however, is the fact that Forest didn't even make an attempt to pretend to care about it. They showed a complete lack of respect for the travelling Forest fans, who braved sub-zero temperatures to watch what was quite frankly an embarrassing performance. The scoreline rather flattered Forest, for if it wasn't for Paul Smith, we would have been thrashed.

It's easy to blame the players, but Calderwood was completely at fault for his awful team selection and formation. Why on earth did he leave three of our best attacking players – Arron Davies, Kris Commons, and Junior Agogo – all on the bench?
Why did we sign Davies again? Somebody please tell me. Wasn't it to make us a threat on the right wing, and take the pressure off Commons? Wouldn't these two players have made a real difference? Granted Commons can be very lazy, but even a lazy Commons would have been better than what we did have out there in the midfield.

It didn't really upset me at the time when Sammy Clingan was sent off against Brighton, but now I realise just how important he is. Without him, we were clueless. Although his replacement James Perch admittedly wasn't bad last night, putting him and Neil Lennon in the midfield is just so negative, and it's no wonder we got so badly outplayed. We were completely devoid of any creativity, and it harked back to last season. That's why it just didn't make any sense to have those three players on the bench.

I really don't know why I bothered going. I hated Luton the last time I went, and vowed never to go back. But silly old me thought that it would be an exciting game what with Liverpool being the prize for the winners. Why on earth I thought that, I don't know. It was just a typical FA Cup second round match, really. The only consolation was that the journey home wasn't long. And I suppose I enjoyed my egg mayonnaise sandwich.

No comments: