Wednesday 9 April 2008

We're **** and we're sick of it

I'm beginning to come round to the idea that those fans who preferred to stay at home in the warm and watch the Liverpool-Arsenal game were right all along.

I am not sure why I asked my dad to take me to the game now. With our play-off place almost secured and automatic promotion disappearing fast over the horizon, our home game against Bristol Rovers could be described as a 'nothing game' really, and apart from another trademark sublime free kick from Lewis McGugan, there was very little to get excited about at all. The players looked like they couldn't be bothered, and our usually solid defence was a real mess, especially our full backs Matt Lockwood and Luke Chambers, who were both dreadful.

Chambers has the excuse of being played out of position all season, but Lockwood is a left back, but last night looked like he'd never played there before in his life. Either he is just not capable, or he just couldn't be bothered to put the effort in, I am not sure. I just don't want to see his name on the team sheet again. Hopefully Julian Bennett's hamstring injury is not too serious and he will be back in the team very soon. He is rightly many people's choice for Player of the Season, which is quite a relevation considering how poorly he began the campaign.

It really was a bad performance by Forest, but how many times have we said that this season? I've got used to it now. Until Deadwood gets lost, we have no hope of going anywhere. We'll probably qualify for the play-offs, but how on earth are we going to win them, playing as we did last night? I just don't see it at all. I think it's probably best if we lose them anyway as I can't face another season of Deadwood, even if it is in the Championship. I would rather us have a good season in League One under a decent manager, and then win promotion knowing we fully deserved it. Some of our performances this season have not even been of non-league standard, they've been so bad. While that may be a slight exaggeration, I don't think it's too far from being accurate. At least non-league players play with a bit of passion, something which has all too often been distinctly lacking from our players this season.

No comments: