Wednesday 7 May 2008

Four days on...and I'm still on Cloud 9

Have you come back down to Earth yet? Because I haven't!
I still can't really take it all in. I know we haven't won the Premiership or the European Cup, but the manner in which we snatched promotion on the very last day of the season after being eleven points adrift just over a month ago is something you usually only dream about.

I'm finding it really hard to concentrate on much else at the moment. All I want to do is think about Forest and just relive those magical scenes at the City Ground over and over again. I keep watching the celebrations on Forest World and I'm still not sick of them. It leaves a lump in my throat every time I watch it. Everything about that day was so romantic and just so well...god damn perfect. And I haven't even mentioned Derby and Leicester being relegated yet!

The past seven days have been the most nerve-wracking and exhilarating in my life. I had so much to worry about that I thought I was going to go insane. First of all I had to go to London on Wednesday to go on a trip on the Millennium Wheel for my belated birthday trip. I was worried that terrorists would strike London that day and I wouldn't live to see what happened to Forest on Saturday.

Fortunately nothing happened and I enjoyed the day, but Thursday was absolute torture for me as I had to wait all day for the Leeds verdict to come in. It was sheer and utter agony as the clock ticked down to 5pm. If Leeds got their 15 points back, or even some of them it would be Game Over for Forest's promotion chances, so imagine my relief when the Sky Sports News presenter casually announced that Leeds would be getting NO points back! I could have cried. It was then that I began to get a gut feeling that Forest were going to do it. We had not come this far for it to go wrong at the last hurdle. I had not gone through all this worrying for nothing, surely?

When the day of reckoning finally came, although rain was forecast for much of the country, when I arrived in Nottingham it was sunny and beautiful, which augured well for Forest. I would usually go to Waterstones before a home game to kill time, but today was such a special occasion that I knew I had to do something different, so I went along to the Market Square and watched a football event that was taking place there. Radio Nottingham were there and interviewed a couple of fans who had made the trip over from Northern Ireland. I sat and read the paper with the chimes of the big clock ringing in the background as kick-off time got closer and closer.

I then made my way down to the City Ground and just hung about for about an hour feeling as nervous as hell, and at 2pm walked through the turnstiles thinking 'when I come out of here we could be in the Championship.'

I've no idea how my nerves survived the next three hours. It certainly helped when we went into a 2-0 lead and Cheltenham scored, but later on when Yeovil pulled it back to 3-2 and Doncaster's equaliser was announced on the radio, you could almost hear the thudding sound of thousands of Forest fans' hearts sinking. Forest were at that point looking quite jaded, and I had an awful feeling that Yeovil were going to score a last-minute equaliser or something, because, well, that's what happens to Forest.

But about ten minutes later one almighty loud cheer reverberated around the City Ground when news broke that Cheltenham had gone back into the lead, and it was then that I knew we'd done it.

I'm still feeling excited even now as I write this four days after the event. We can enjoy this for the next two months until the preparations for the new season get underway in July. I don't think I'm going to be bored this summer as Forest will be signing loads of new players and the message boards will be red hot with rumours of comings and goings.

I just can't believe how well this season has gone for Forest. Not only are we promoted back to the Championship, but our two East Midlands rivals have been relegated! Derby are back in the same league as us, and Leicester have traded places with us in League One! How amazing is that? Not only that, but Forest won their reserves League and the Forest ladies were promoted to the Premier League. To think how depressed we have been at times this season. If only we knew what was around the corner. It's just unbelievable.

No comments: