Thursday 31 July 2008

Preparations for new season hampered by fitness worries

I watched the Sunderland game on Setanta Sports last night, and thought that it was a reasonable performance overall, but in terms of creating chances, Forest were disappointing.

I know you shouldn't really read too much into pre-season friendly performances, because both Forest and the opposition aren't treating the game very seriously at all, and it's just a workout for the players to get their fitness back, but nevertheless I am worried that none of our strikers has scored so far in pre-season so far. Robbie Earnshaw hasn't really impressed me much at all, but Andy Cole at least looked quite sharp in the friendly against Everton – but now he's got a calf injury, and he joins a string of first team players who are currently nursing knocks, which have kept them out of pre-season games recently. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, and it's all to do with the fitness, but with the Reading game being just over a week away, it is very concerning that the players are still not conditioned enough. Have we not learnt anything from years gone by?

I still enjoyed the game last night, though, as it was good to see a few old faces return to the City Ground. Andy Reid and Darren Ward both got some action, and Roy Keane said some very nice things about Forest and Brian Clough, which made me see him in a new light. Being an ex-Man United player, by rights I should hate him, but I suppose I can forgive him for leaving seeing as we did get relegated and he was never going to play in the second tier.

No comments: