Sunday 28 September 2008

Where on earth do we go from here?

I'm feeling so depressed about Forest at the moment that I am thinking that perhaps I'd be better off without them. Sure, I will never experience the magical highs of last season's promotion or when we score a last minute equaliser, but at least I will be content and not wake up every Sunday morning with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I have plenty of other hobbies to keep me happy, so I'll be alright. Millions of people live perfectly happy lives not supporting football teams. There is more to life, of course there is. Forest do not dominate my life. They're just a small part of it. I've long since got over the days of chucking my remote control at the door when they've just lost, or sat in silence at the dinner table and refused to speak to anybody. I've sacrificed twenty years of my life for this team, and for the most part they've just made me miserable. I've given up every single weekend to follow them, whether it's at the match itself, on the internet, or even just on teletext. I am beginning to feel very foolish now. Over the past two decades, I could have been out having fun every Saturday, going shopping, to museums, or sightseeing in the countryside, but instead I've just sat in my room wasting my life. There were times when it was worth the sacrifice, but apart from the unexpected promotion last season on the final day, there has been very little to cheer about in the past five years. The summer optimism following our promotion is quickly dissipating and now as Forest lie rock bottom of the Championship with just one win from eight games, things are looking incredibly bleak again, and I just don't think I have the stomach for it any more.

We were absolutely ecstatic when we snatched promotion on the final day, and for me that's what makes our current situation so painful. We really thought that the Club was finally on the road to recovery and that we'd be going from strength to strength. The signing of Robert Earnshaw was a really good bit of business and it showed we had ambition. Then we managed to persuade Paul Anderson, a very highly rated winger from Liverpool, to join us on loan, and he was followed up by Andy Cole, who finally got to realise his dream of playing for his home town club, and Joe Garner, a very promising striker from Carlisle. But although all of these signings seemed good at the time, only Earnshaw has proved his worth so far. Cole is already showing signs of being disillusioned with life under Colin Calderwood, complaining that he doesn't want to play a bit-part role at Forest, despite not playing well when he does get on the pitch. The Anderson signing has turned out to be a disaster. We paid Liverpool nearly £1 million to loan him for the entire season, only to discover that he had not recovered from a thigh injury which he got while playing for Swansea, and I doubt we will be seeing him play this side of Christmas at this rate.

At least Joe Garner is very close to returning from his long-term knee injury, but if you think he is going to make a big difference, you're mistaken. Nobody knows if he will make the step up from League One to the Championship, first of all, and even if he does score goals, he's not going to stop us leaking them at the back, is he? If we persist with this defence, we will go down, no mistake. Not one of them, even Kelvin Wilson, has been playing well this season, and that is extremely worrying.

Wes Morgan has been awful lately, and I was actually glad when he was sent off in injury time yesterday in the 1-0 defeat at Plymouth. He may have been a tad unlucky with his clearance that led to the goal, but in every game so far this season, he has looked clumsy and hesitant. He is completely out of sorts, and now he must serve a one-game suspension, it will force Calderwood to change the defence at least. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd prefer to see Ian Breckin in there at the moment. At least he does have Championship experience, having played for Wigan, and he is a good header of the ball.

I'd also like to see our new loan signing from Brighton Joel Lynch be given a chance at left back. He can play central defence, too, but he is a good left back, according to Brighton's fans. Julian Bennett is really struggling there, and that is disappointing, because I thought he'd do well, but I'm afraid to say he's a bit of a liability and keeps getting booked for stupid tackles. At the very least he needs competition for his place because that might make him get his act together.

As soon as I saw that Luke Chambers was starting the game at right back, I knew we were going to lose the game. I don't know why Calderwood persists with him. He dropped him recently for the game at Preston, and then substituted him at half time last week against Charlton, so we finally thought that he had realised that he is no good as a right back, but surprise, surprise, he is back in the starting line-up at Plymouth, and once again for the umpteenth time, Chambers had a really poor game, constantly giving the ball away, losing his man, and seeing most of his crosses failing to get anywhere. He can count himself lucky that Plymouth were so poor, so he wasn't troubled too much defensively, but that, of course, did not stop Forest losing the game.

I wouldn't say Chambers was the worst player on the pitch, mind you. Guy Moussi was dreadful in midfield. He kept losing possession, and giving the ball away. We really thought he was something special when he first signed, and his first couple of home appearances showed a great deal of promise, but it's all gone horribly pear shaped since then, and now he looks awful. I don't think this 4-3-3 formation suits him at all, but he should still be able to get the basics right, and he's not even doing that. I don't want to write him off, though, because I think he's just lost his confidence, and if he was part of a good team, he'd not be so terrible. Under the guidance of a good manager, I'm sure we'd see a different player.

We've now played eight games and at the moment are doing a very good impression of a team destined for League One. We can't defend, we can't score goals, and we have lost all of our away games. The discipline is also starting to go, with two red cards in a week, and Nathan Tyson even managed to get booked after the whistle had blown for arguing with the referee yesterday. These are classic symptoms of a team in trouble. The only good thing is that time is very much on our side to sort it out. We are not cast adrift – yet. There are 38 games to play still, with plenty of points to play for. But I just don't think Calderwood is the man to turn it around. He has no motivation skills at all, and he is not ruthless enough when it comes to leaving out certain players. He is a lower League manager at best, and I just fear the worst if Forest persist with him much longer. Nice man I'm sure he is, but sorry, Colin, your time is up.

No comments: