Sunday 4 October 2009

I see trees of green...What a wonderful week for Forest

Forest, you really must stop winning like this. I could get used to it! No, seriously, please carry on. I said the other night that we shouldn't get too greedy, but I've changed my mind now. I want more! We are on a bit of a roll now, and just one point away from the top six in the Championship two months into the season. Now that has to be a big improvement on this time last year when we were entrenched at the bottom of the table and couldn't buy a win for love nor money.

It was a great response coming back from a goal down at Peterborough to equalise immediately like that. Okay, so we were helped considerably by dodgy defending and the wind when Radoslaw Majewski's in-swinging free kick caught everyone by surprise and sailed right over Peterborough's substitute goalkeeper. But we still deserved to be level, and five minutes later we were in the lead thanks to Paul Anderson, who netted from close range for his second goal of the season. That turned out to be the match winner as Forest comfortably saw the game out without too much trouble. It wasn't exactly a scintillating performance, but just like the Plymouth win last Sunday, it was a job well done and another three points in the bag.

The past seven days have been great, yielding nine points from nine. You really couldn't ask for more than that. True, the games were against three poor teams who will probably be involved in the relegation battle come the end of the season, but these games are exactly the kind that Forest often slip up in, so to win them all is very pleasing, and it gives us a good idea of how good we are. We were only a few points above the relegation zone this time last week, but now we're 10th, which is the highest position we've been in this division for years. I don't see any reason why not we can finish even higher come May. But as long as we avoid being involved in the fight to stay up, I will be happy. Anything else we achieve will be a bonus. I'm not at all desperate to get back up to the Premiership, as I think the Championship is a very good division to be in for clubs like ourselves. I'm happy to stay here for a long time, as I can't stand the thought of us losing every week, trying to emulate Derby's 'achievement' of being the worst Premiership team ever! It might be nice visiting the country's best stadia, but not if we come away from them on the receiving end of a good spanking every time.

Anyway, I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself talking about promotion. I don't think this team is good enough to mount a challenge – yet. But in a year or two if we keep this squad together and Billy Davies is still here, I'm sure we'll give it a good go. But for now, I'm more than happy with how things are going, winning three on the bounce. It sure beats fretting about relegation, and relying on a few snookers from teams around us. I practically made myself ill last year worrying about us going down. So it will be nice if Forest, just for once, gave us a stress-free season and finished in a boring 11th or 12th place or something like that. But in my twenty years of supporting them, I can hardly remember a season that wasn't exciting to some degree. Forest tend to be either shockingly bad, or really, really good, and no in-between, so don't bet against us making the play-offs in May. I just hope, though, that if we lose them we won't get too downhearted about it, as there is no doubt that the devastating 2003 semi-final defeat at Sheffield United really set us off on a downward spiral over the next half-decade. We're very much in the ascendency now and we shouldn't be in too much of a rush to achieve too much too soon.

No comments: