Wednesday 27 January 2010

Watch out, Magpies. There's some Tricky Trees disrupting your flight path

One more goal, and we would have been top of the League. In all likelihood, it would probably have only been for 24 hours, but it would have been nice to see the good name of Nottingham Forest sitting on top of the pile for a change!

Not so long ago, 5-0 thrashings stood out for me as highlights, not just of seasons, but my entire lifetime. Now we're dishing them out week after week, and they're becoming less and less special as a result. We just expect it now! I used to think beating teams like Southend 4-1 was brilliant. I remember skipping all the way back to the car when we beat the Shrimpers a couple of seasons ago. But I was not feeling euphoric last night because I'm used to it...much like I was used to us losing away from home so often under Colin Calderwood. So it's true what they say about contrast. You have to have lows so you can enjoy the highs, and right now I feel like I'm being overindulged.

Billy Davies might disagree, but we are ready for the Premiership. We're more than ready in my opinion. I now actually feel rather excited at the prospect. I know I have been saying all season that I don't want it, but the closer we get, the more appealing the idea sounds. I have not been a season ticket holder watching us in the top flight yet, so maybe it's about time I was, even if following them around all the top stadia will practically bankrupt me.

It seems to me at the moment that if Forest actually want to win, then they will. And if they want to stuff a team four or five then they will do that. That's why when I was discussing with my dad about going top of the table that I felt really confident that we could get the six goals required. And we certainly came close. The crowd sensed a right good thrashing was on the cards when a quick brace from Robbie Earnshaw inside a couple of minutes put us firmly in control after twenty minutes, and the points were practically sewn up after just half an hour when Dexter Blackstock (and thankfully not Earnshaw) made it 3-0 from the penalty spot. A brilliant long-range effort from Chris Cohen a few minutes after the restart gave us real hope that we could go on to snatch the top spot from Newcastle, but we 'only' managed to score one more when James Perch, who was playing in an unfamiliar left-back role, bundled the ball home following a goalmouth scramble.

The crowd willed Forest on to get the all-important sixth goal as the last fifteen minutes of the game ticked away, but alas it never came, although there was some good news with West Brom dropping two points at Ipswich, so we have stretched our lead over them to five points now. To be honest, it doesn't feel like we're going to be needing any snookers to get us over the finishing line. We are just too damn good for this League and if we don't win the title, we look certain at the moment to be going up in second place. I keep waiting for the proverbial bubble to pop, but every match we get better and better. This really feels like it's going to be our year!

No comments: