Sunday 29 August 2010

Players' body language speaks volumes

Something is badly wrong behind the scenes at Forest at the moment, and it's blindly obvious that it's affecting the players' performances out on the pitch.

How we didn't lose against Norwich, I will never know. We cannot keep relying on Lee Camp to get us out of trouble. He was a very busy man yesterday as he made a number of top-class saves. How long, though, will it be before his confidence starts to wane, just as it seems to be the case with the majority of his team mates?

I'm not at all surprised that all the wild speculation flying about regarding Billy Davies' future, and reasons for lack of transfer activity is eating away at the players' confidence. Their body language is very negative and they look like they'd rather be anywhere but the City Ground. And to be honest I feel the same about Forest right now. I feel empty when I think of them. What a stark contrast to last season. I feel like I am going through the motions when I turn up to games. I just don't feel much excitement at all, so why should the players, who don't even love Forest like I do?

When Dexter Blackstock scored from a penalty yesterday to give us an undeserved lead, I uttered under my breath 'we don't deserve it'. And although I was very angry with the soft goal that was to be Norwich's equaliser less than ten minutes later, it was just reward for their dominance of the first half.

Given Forest's tendency to play well in one half of their home games only, there was hope after the break that they would be better. But if anything they were worse. The midfielders were very poor, especially Paul McKenna and Raddy Majewski, both of whom were substituted. We also suffered an injury blow when Paul Anderson limped off with suspected medial ligament damage, which could keep him sidelined for around two months. Terrific news really as we're short of wingers as it is. That news came on top of the announcement by Davies earlier that Gareth McCleary could too be out for months. It never rains, but it pours.

With transfer deadline day fast approaching on Tuesday, the injuries to Anderson and McCleary really do heap enormous pressure on the Acquisitions Panel to get a bloody move on and sign some players damn quick. If they don't, I think Forest will be staring down an abyss. I really fear being relegated. It's not that we don't have good players, it's just that they're so low on confidence, that even the good ones are not going to be performing anywhere near what they are capable of. Things have gone very stale, and before too long if something doesn't happen that will invigorate the team, we will soon be rotting at the foot of the Championship. With memories of last season still fresh in our minds, it will be a very sad sight.

No comments: