Monday 11 June 2007

Colin to take a Gamble on young goalies?

I don't know what to think about Calderwood's plans to put his faith in the young goalkeepers we already have, rather than invest in somebody new to challenge Paul Smith for the Number One jersey.

I don't know anything about the credentials of Paddy Gamble, Shane Redmond and Dale Roberts, as I only really follow the first team, but from what I have learned from the fans on the forum, they are all capable of making the step up to first team football.

My worry, though, is that if Smith gets injured, one of that trio will find themselves thrust into the first team spotlight with no experience behind him, and I don't think I need to spell out just how important a solid and reliable goalkeeper with plenty of experience is to a team, whether they are riding high at the top of the table, or are struggling at the other end. Just look at how many points Smith saved us last year.

Smith could also get sent off in a game, and we'd only have a rookie to come on and replace him. That would put enormous pressure on the defence. Just look how nervous the back four looked whenever Barry Roche was playing.

I think we must sign another goalkeeper with experience, and I think I know just the person. How about Mark Crossley? He absolutely adores Forest, and would jump at the chance to return to the City Ground. He turns 38 in a few days' time, so he has plenty of life left in him yet. The only thing that would put him off is the prospect of only being a substitute, but just coming back to Forest would more than make up for that. He's at a loose end having just been released by Fulham, and if you ask me Forest would be mad not to get him before somebody else does.

No comments: