Sunday 10 June 2007

Two months to go, and still no new players

I know the new season is still two months away (nine weeks to be precise), but I am getting a little bit panicky about our complete lack of transfer activity. I understand that players have to have holidays - after all they have such tough lives - but Forest really do have to get a move on and sign some new ones, to replace those they released a couple of weeks ago.

Whether Kris Commons ends up signing a new deal or not, we are in dire need of new midfielders, particularly of the wide variety.
There's been plenty of speculation recently about Neil Lennon coming to the Club in a player/coach capacity, but I don't know if anything will come of it. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the idea, but his age worries me. He's 35, and I would prefer Forest to build for the future than build their side around past-it players desperate to hang on to their youth. But on the other hand Lennon is not just any old player. He's a very good player with a wealth of experience, and if he was good enough for Celtic last year, then I'm sure he still has a lot to offer in League One despite his advancing years.
In fact, if he were to come here, I wouldn't be surprised if he was handed the captain's armband, given that he was skipper at Parkhead and would make a far better leader than Ian Breckin.

David Prutton has apparently been offered a new permanent deal, but to be honest I am not bothered if he stays or goes. He didn't make much of an impression during his loan spell last season. In fact my one abiding image is of his completely unnecessary tackle that led to his dismissal against Yeovil, which left us with nine men in extra time after Alan Wright limped off with an injury. If he spent more time concentrating on his football than trying to look like Jesus, I would be more enthusiastic about keeping him, but I don't think he is hungry enough. He even admitted as much in an interview a few months ago when he said he realised there were more things in life than football. He was good when he was here the first time around, but times move on, and I think a younger hungrier player from the youth team deserves to be given a chance instead.

Midfield is not the only area where we need strengthening, though.
We will have to sign a new reserve goalkeeper to replace the outgoing Rune Pedersen. I am assuming that Paul Smith is happy to stay another season, but he deserves to be playing at a higher level. He was at times last season truly magnificent, even if some Forest fans didn't always appreciate him.

It looks like Colin Calderwood already has a replacement lined up for John Curtis - his former club Northampton's Jason Crowe, a 28-year-old full-back, who allegedly can defend as well as attack – neither of which Curtis was very good at. It's rumoured that he is on the verge of signing on a free transfer. Northampton's fans would be sorry to see him go, but then every team has its stars, but that doesn't mean they will replicate their success elsewhere. Still anybody is better than Curtis, and I always like to give new players a chance before writing them off.

No comments: