Sunday 24 February 2008

Sign a striker, or promotion charge will grind to a Holt

At long last, Forest seem to have rediscovered their form away from home. They should have got all three points at Leeds a fortnight ago, and they fully deserved the win at Leyton Orient. Since that awful day at Bournemouth at the beginning of the month, we've managed to pick up ten points from twelve, and as a result of Carlisle's win over Doncaster, we are back in second place.

I was not going to bother going to any more away games after the dreadful performance at Luton in the FA Cup, but as Leyton Orient is so easy to get to, and I had a free ticket, I didn't have much to lose. I am quite proud of myself as I went on the Underground on my own for the first time ever, and I got myself to Leyton without any trouble at all. To be honest, it's not the most difficult of journeys as the ground is just five minutes' walk from the station, but nevertheless going to the east end of London on my own is something of an achievement! The day really couldn't have gone more smoothly both from a personal perspective and a Forest point of view. I didn't have to wait for any of my trains, so I was back in Bedford at half past six!

I thought we played really well. You would think that playing five at the back would make us really defensive and boring, but at Leeds, and Leyton Orient we created a number of good chances, while stifling the opposition at the same time. If Nathan Tyson or maybe Will Hoskins had been playing instead of Grant Holt, I think we would have had a bigger scoreline to show for our efforts rather than having to rely on a tame shot from Junior Agogo slipping through the hands of the Orient goalkeeper. But now it appears that Hoskins could be on his way back to Watford as he has a troublesome back injury. Tyson will be out for the next month or so, and there's no guarantee that he won't get injured again when he returns, so we are really going to struggle to score goals, unless we sign somebody else on loan. But who, I don't know. There's been plenty of talk of loaning Billy Sharp from Sheffield United. He has struggled in the Championship, but he is a proven goalscorer in League One and could do a job for Forest, I'm sure. But would Sheffield United let him go, and would he be prepared to step back down a division?

All I do know is that we have to sign someone, as Holt is just terrible! I just can't see he and Agogo forming a good partnership at all. There's now just 14 games left, and every one of them to use an old cliché is going to be a cup final. If Holt is going to be leading our front line, I fear for us.

No comments: