Tuesday 4 March 2008

Don't give up hope yet. Promotion is still possible

I felt like a horse had kicked me in the gut last night. Not just because we lost to one of our main promotion rivals, but because I had a pounding headache as well.

I burst into tears at the end of the game, which is not something I do very often these days where Forest are concerned, because I have got really used to it, and they are no longer the only thing that makes me really happy, but because I was feeling so ill and tired, things just got on top of me and I felt rock bottom.

Having finally got rid of the headache and a good night's sleep behind me, I feel a lot better now, although the reality of Forest's automatic promotion hopes being damaged by our first home defeat in 15 matches is still there, and that is not going to go away.

We actually didn't play too badly at all. There wasn't much to choose between the two sides, and the game looked like it was heading for a draw until a mix-up between Paul Smith and the usually fautless Kelvin Wilson led to Carlisle's goal, which sadly proved to be the winner and put Carlisle in second place – five points ahead of Forest.

It really has been a bad weekend for us as with away wins for Doncaster, Walsall and Leeds and us losing to Carlisle. We don't even look assured of a play-off spot, never mind automatic promotion. The first thing we need to do is make sure that we don't lose our place in the top six, and to do that we've just got to concentrate on winning games. If we do that, that five point gap may be reduced and we will be right back in there, and seeing as we still have to play both Carlisle and Doncaster, albeit away from home, we shouldn't lose heart just yet. There's still 13 games to go, and neither we, Carlisle, nor Doncaster will win all of them. It's up to Forest to make sure that they drop the fewest amount of points between now and May. It's true we are now relying on a few snookers, but with two months to go still, there is still hope, and if our automatic promotion bid is ultimately to prove unsuccessful, we still get another chance with the play-offs, providing of course that we qualify for them.

No comments: