Sunday 22 November 2009

A well-Earned point as Forest's impressive away form holds firm

I am so glad I didn't slit my wrists when Forest were crushed 5-0 at Burnley back in March. Because, although it may have seemed like the end of the world at the time, that was actually the last time Forest lost an away game!

We still remain the only team in the seven top divisions not to have lost a single game on our travels this season, and that is something we can be really be proud of. It's about time that we made positive headlines for ourselves, as we were so used to doing in the glory days under Cloughie. It hasn't been much fun being a Forest fan in recent years, but since Billy Davies arrived, it's been pretty much plain sailing, and I can't tell you how good it has been for my health, both mentally and physically. I'm no longer getting stomach palpitations worrying about permutations. It's a very pleasant feeling, and I'm going to enjoy it while I can, because it is not going to last for ever.

It would have been a huge injustice if we had not got something from the Middlesbrough game. To be quite frank, we were pretty awful in the first half as we struggled to get to grips with it. Boro were tearing our defence apart, and when they took the lead in only the fifth minute through Leroy Lita, I feared that a hammering could be on the cards. Fortunately that turned out to be far from the case, though, as we settled more and more into the game, and after the break we were excellent and completely dominated. The only thing lacking was our final ball, but it was great to see Robert Earnshaw get himself back on the scoresheet when he scored from a superb free kick to equalise with twenty minutes remaining. I really thought we might go on to win then, such was our superiority, but I was more than happy to settle for a point at the Riverside. It was our fourth consecutive draw, so maybe we could have done with a win, but I'm sure there is another victory just around the corner.

Hopefully that will be at home to Doncaster next week. It will be a tough game, because Donny are no pushovers, as we found out to our cost on Boxing Day last year.
I don't want to dwell on it too much, but suffice to say it was the moment when Forest hit rock bottom, but also the start of something much, much better as Colin Calderwood fell on his sword much to all our delight, and Forest have not looked back since!

No comments: