Sunday 8 November 2009

Sorry Forest, but I just can't get used to not fretting about you!

Usually I feel absolutely gutted when Forest concede last-minute goals of significance, but I only felt a bit disappointed that we were unable to hold on to our lead given to us by Wes Morgan just a few minutes earlier against Bristol City. We have been doing so well lately that I thought it was greedy to expect yet another victory, so I'm quite satisfied with a point. The most important thing was not to head into the international break on the back of a defeat.

I'm not at all desperate for promotion, and there's not much chance of us getting relegated, so I feel very relaxed about Forest at the moment, which is not something I have been able to say very often over the past decade at all! I want us to finish somewhere in the top ten, but don't think I can face the play-offs. Not because it would be a disaster if we lost them, but just that they can cause a lot of emotional upset and it would be a shame for a depression to set back in at the City Ground, just when the outlook has become so sunny again. But sooner or later I think I'm going to get bored of having nothing to worry about regarding Forest. I've got an addictive personality and crave a bit of danger, so I hope we do make a good fist of trying to get into the top six just to keep the season alive. We are almost half way there to being safe from relegation, and there's still two-thirds of the season to go. I predict that by February, we'll be virtually safe, as by Christmas we'll probably have something in the range of about 35-40 points.

I didn't think we played particularly well against Bristol City in the first half. There were a number of players who were having an off-day, giving the ball away too much. Billy Davies picked the same side that earned a late draw at Cardiff. This meant a five-man midfield with David McGoldrick up front on his own. I'm sure that if Nathan Tyson and Dexter Blackstock hadn't been injured, we would have played 4-4-2, but even so it still seemed a bit negative. I would have liked to have seen Dele Adebola on from the start, as Forest looked a much more menacing outfit once he came on ten minutes into the second half. Davies seems to get his substitutions right a lot of the time as Forest suddenly looked capable of scoring once Gareth McCleary and Rob Earnshaw were both on the pitch. The goal, though, came from an unlikely source in Morgan, who tucked the ball in from six yards out following a free kick. Once again Adebola had been involved, which just goes to show how effective he can be as a substitute.

But our celebrations were short-lived as Danny Haynes pounced in the last minute of normal time to equalise for City, and we were forced to settle for a point, which on reflection was what both sides deserved. We still managed to climb a couple of places in the table, though, into a very respectable eighth position. Now cast your mind back 12 months and if somebody told you we'd be in eighth in the Championship a year later, you'd be amazed, wouldn't you?!

No comments: