Sunday 13 December 2009

It's official: Forest ARE promotion contenders

I'm beginning to think Forest are invincible away from home! Now that is a sentence I never thought I'd be writing, but invincible is exactly what we are at the moment, having gone 13 games without defeat, losing none away since last March!

I really thought that Swansea would be a very tough place to go to as they had only lost once at the Liberty Stadium this season, but although David McGoldrick's 35th-minute strike was rather against the run of play, nobody could say we didn't deserve the win after a strong second half. Lee Camp was busy in goal once again, but Billy Davies got his tactics spot on and we managed to hold on for our third win in four games, an achievement that has been awarded with third place in the table, less than two weeks before Christmas! Now, who would have thought that possible at the start of the season?!

We're now five points clear of 7th place, so I think we can now say that yes, we are play-off contenders, if not automatic promotion. I doubt we will catch Newcastle, who are some ten points clear at the moment, but I do believe that we can overhaul West Brom easily. At the time of writing we're only two points away from them, but they have a very winnable looking home game against QPR on Monday night. Hopefully we will still have them in our sights when our away trip to the Hawthorns comes round in a few weeks. If not, I will be more than glad to accept a place in the top six for now! I never expected us to be doing this well so soon, so I'm really happy with them at the moment. That's not something I've been able to say very much in recent times, so I'm going to make sure I savour every moment, because there will be more dark times in the future. I've always believed that as long as I get to enjoy some happiness with Forest, I can accept there will be misery at some point, too.

No comments: