Wednesday 9 December 2009

Forest miss Davies in dugout but Camp saves the day

I think we can forgive Forest for having an off-day against Sheffield United. It was a very poor game in which neither side played particularly well, so a goalless draw was about the right result on reflection. Bramall Lane is never an easy place to go at the best of times, so to come away with a point is very pleasing, considering the fact that Billy Davies was absent because of illness, leaving assistant Ned Kelly in charge.

The lacklustre performance last night really highlighted what a huge influence Davies has on the team's morale. At times we were very disorganised and all over the place defensively. Thank God for Lee Camp is all I can say, because he made some fantastic saves to keep us in it. He hasn't had that much to do this season because we've been so tight defensively, but he certainly was made to work for his money against United. He is the best goalkeeper we have had in a very long time. The fact that we have yet to lose an away game with him playing just shows how important he is to the team.

I must admit when I heard that Luke Chambers was back in the side at right back, it took me back to the bad old days under Colin Calderwood. I really rate him as a centre-half and thought he was very unlucky to get dropped a couple of months ago for Kelvin Wilson, but he's no right back, as he will admit himself. But luckily he did okay last night, so it was a decision that paid off. It was obvious we were playing for a point as Chris Gunter was pushed forward into midfield. This helped to protect Chambers' vulnerability, so he didn't get torn to pieces, as was frequently the case last season.

If we had won, we'd only be three points off second place as West Brom lost at home to Cardiff, who incidentally have leapfrogged us and gone third. But as I keep saying I'm not particularly desperate to win promotion, so I'm struggling to get worked up about it. The only thing I was worried about was being relegated – not that there was much chance of that happening after our summer spending splurge! - and now that is not going to happen, I feel really relaxed. Normally I'm a nervous wreck during Forest games, but I don't even worry about us losing at the moment as one defeat is not going to kill us, is it? We're surely not going to get through the whole season without losing an away game, are we?!

No comments: