Sunday 21 October 2007

Breckin useless

Maybe I'm getting a bit greedy, but I felt rather downhearted after we drew 0-0 with Doncaster. I had no idea how the game was going to go, so I didn't expect us to win or anything, but I do think that given our domination, we could have beaten them on any other day.

The midfield seemed to be having an off day. Kris Commons reverted to his old lazy self, and Chris Cohen was quieter than usual. Doncaster to their credit defended very well and made it hard for us to play with fluency, so I'm not going to be too critical of the Forest players as I don't think it was down to a lack of effort. We always knew that Donny would be tough opposition, so it wasn't a surprise, and at least we got a point, which is a point more than we had at the start of play.

I know we kept a clean sheet, but I wasn't very happy with the defence. I never thought I'd say it, but I missed Wes Morgan. I hope he won't be out for very long with his knee injury as Ian Breckin is just terrible. I just cannot understand why he gets so much praise, because most Forest fans think he is awful. He keeps giving stupid free-kicks away, and all he is good for is heading the ball and not much else. I don't think he and Kelvin Wilson have a future together as a long-term partnership, put it that way. And why on earth did Colin Calderwood take the captaincy off Neil Lennon and give it back to Breckin? That's just insane. When Morgan is fit again, which I hope is very soon, if Calderwood doesn't put him straight back in the side, it will be mad.

We've got some really big games coming up in the next few weeks, and three of the next four are at home. We can still go top if we win our game in hand against Oldham a week on Tuesday, and then a week later we have Southend in front of what should be a near-capacity crowd as everybody gets in for a fiver. If we can get three points at Luton next Saturday, it will give us a good foundation for the next few games after that. Luton are certainly beatable, which surprises me as I thought they'd be strong promotion candidates this season, but they seem to be suffering from a relegation hangover. It's practically a 'home' game for me as it's just down the road from Bedford. Don't laugh, but it's been one of my ambitions to watch Forest play at Luton, although I never thought it would be in Division Three! By all accounts the place is a right dump, but if we get three points I shan't care much, and if we lose - well, at least I won't face a long journey home.

No comments: