Sunday 14 October 2007

It's Cohen great!

The things I do for Forest! I'm still suffering from 'jet lag' after getting up at 5.30am yesterday morning to catch the bus to Oxford where one of my brothers met my mum and I, and drove us all the way to Cheltenham where my other brother lives. I'm just grateful Forest won to justify what was a very stressful trip!

Cheltenham were so poor that Forest didn't even need to break out of first gear to run out comfortable 3-0 winners, courtesy of a hat-trick from Kris Commons. This is becoming something of a familiar theme this season as Forest have picked up quite a few decent results even when their performance hasn't always warranted it. I'm not saying that the opposition have always been unlucky, though. That's not true. The only match where we have been outplayed this season was at Swansea, but we still got a point there. In most of the other matches we have dominated possession and completely shut out the other side. It's just that without Commons, we seem to struggle a little bit up front. He is now our top scorer with seven goals, and even though he is a midfielder, he is top of the League One goalscoring charts!

To say that we are a one-man team, though, would be very wrong. Commons does have a massive influence, but there are other players who are making a big difference as well. Chris Cohen is doing a brilliant job in midfield at the moment. He is very talented and even though Commons made all the headlines on Saturday with his goalscoring exploits, Cohen in my opinion just shaded it for Man of the Match. I don't understand why he is playing in League One, and what on earth he was doing at Yeovil last season. He is an excellent young player. He made some brilliant tackles in midfield yesterday, and was very creative as well. Our rich vein of form seems to have coincided with his arrival in the team. Let's hope he manages to stay injury-free for the rest of the campaign, because I think he is a crucial player for the team.

I jumped for joy yesterday when I saw that we had gone second in the table, but then I remembered that other sides were playing later, but we only slipped into third place by tea time, and we are just one point away from being first with a game in hand! Our goal difference is +12, which is a lot better than Tranmere's, so if we keep up our form over the next two or three weeks, I am sure we will hit top spot very soon. I can't see Leyton Orient staying up there, despite their good away point at Leeds. I think the only team we have to worry about is ourselves. Along with Leeds, we are the best team in the division by far, and even though we were top of the League at the same stage last year, I would never have said that last season.

No comments: