Sunday 28 October 2007

Just a bad day at the office...or something more sinister?

My dream is well and truly shattered. As I mentioned last week, it was one of my life's ambitions to see Forest play at Luton, and now I've fulfilled it, let's just say I am a bit underwhelmed. I am sure Forest's losing and generally playing like morons probably coloured my view of the place, but even an hour before kick off, I was already feeling extremely cheesed off after getting lost on my way to the ground.

I am not the brightest of people when it comes to finding myself around places. My spatial skills are practically non-existent, but it really shouldn't have taken me two hours to find the place, should it? Especially after three people had given me directions. But I was so shy talking to them, that I didn't take in anything that they said, and I just pretended to have understood. As two o'clock approached, I started to get really panicky about missing the match and all the worrying just made it harder for me to use my brain. Thankfully, just as I was about to have a nervous breakdown, I saw a boy wearing a Forest shirt and followed him all the way to the ground. I don't think I would have got there, otherwise.

I didn't enjoy the game at all, as I was worried about getting back to the train station. To be honest, in a way it was probably a good thing that Forest were bad, as if they played well, I don't think I would have been in the mood to celebrate. I suppose if bad things are going to happen, it should all happen at once. I think the only time I raised a smile was when the referee clattered into one of our players and knocked him over. The fact that it was the highlight of the afternoon tells you everything you need to know about Forest's 'performance'. Nothing went right for us. The defence was a nightmare, the midfield was awol and the strikers were completely let down by a lack of service.

The reason why the defence was poor was obvious: Ian Breckin was there. Worryingly, since Wes Morgan got injured, he has not only wormed his way back into the starting line-up, but also got the captain's armband back. One word. Why? He is nothing short of a disgrace as a captain, and he is a dreadful defender. The other players around him don't look half as composed when he is playing. Kelvin Wilson and Morgan were doing brilliantly before, so let's hope that when Morgan is fully fit, Breckin will be the one to make way again.

I know this was our first defeat in nine games, and Luton are a difficult team to play away from home, but sadly I don't think it was just a case of a bad day at the office. If Breckin doesn't get dropped again, I think there will be plenty more sub-standard displays like this one.

To compound matters, Leeds United, who started the season fifteen points behind us, have now leapfrogged us, and now look dead certs to win promotion. So that's one automatic promotion spot gone then. Who will take the second one is anybody's guess, but I am becoming less and less confident that it will be us.

We have three homes in a row coming up, starting with Oldham on Tuesday, followed by Tranmere and Southend. I daren't predict how many points we might get out of them, but needless to say we will be looking to win them all. If we can do that, then we will be in a terrific position, but how many times have we seen Forest throw away their opportunities? When it comes to the crunch, Forest are bottlers.

No comments: