Sunday 26 October 2008

What a pointsless waste of time

Colin Calderwood said after the home defeat against Cardiff that he could see a lot of positives and that if we look beyond what is happening now, the future is bright. This man gets funnier and funnier every time he speaks. At least there is still some entertainment value to be had from supporting Forest, because let's face it there is precious little else to smile about at the minute.

The surprise news that Joe Garner would make his home debut gave us all a lift prior to kick-off, and a decent first half in which we played some very good football, but were once again let down by the final ball, gave us a lot of hope that we could get three points, but things did not look too promising for the second half when Paul Anderson, who had been such an influence in the first 45 minutes, did not emerge after the break and was replaced by Nathan Tyson. I just knew then that without Anderson, Forest wouldn't be very good, and so they proved, and Cardiff ended up winning from a penalty.

Our defence still looked dodgy even though both Luke Chambers and Julian Bennett weren't in the side. I feel a lot safer with James Perch at right back, but I am worried about Joel Lynch. I just don't think he's Championship quality. I also thought Kelvin Wilson had an awful game. I am really surprised that he has seemingly not made the step up. Maybe he is suffering from a lack of confidence, but he doesn't deserve his place in the side at the moment, and I have to say I thought that when Chambers came on for him, he played rather well and looked competent as a central defender, which we have always suspected.

I wasn't expecting to get much from the game, as Cardiff had lost just once all season, but we so badly needed the win. We needed to get four points out of six from these two home games we've just had, but as I predicted we have ended up with just one. Now we have three extremely hard looking games with back-to-back away matches at Crystal Palace and Derby, and then Birmingham, who are in red hot form at the moment, come to the City Ground. It's looking extremely bad for us. I can't see us getting more than one point from all three of those matches. That's not me being pessimistic – just a realist. I've given up hoping for Deadwood to go, because I've given up on this season. I don't believe that anyone can turn it around now. I think we're sunk. I am not suicidal at the thought of returning to League One, but I am at the prospect of having to endure another six months of hopelessness before we can think about moving forward. Now I know how the Derby fans felt last season. And I bet they are having a right good laugh at us, Kris Commons included.

1 comment:

mariotakeiteasy said...

Yeah Calderwood does seem to consistently take the positives from our performances. Even though we are playing well we still need the results.
What you say about Lynch is 100percent true... There was one time when he passed and it went straight to a Cardiff midfielder. He's probably Blue Sq Premier quality at best!