Wednesday 22 October 2008

Wake me up when the season ends

I was going to give last night's game against Ipswich a miss, despite my dad offering to drive me up there, but on Monday afternoon, feeling a bit better following a wretched weekend of illness, I changed my mind as I had this unexplained feeling that we were going to see a good Forest performance and that they would at last put an end to their miserable winless sequence. How wrong was I?

True we had a few bright spells, and Paul Anderson, who finally got to make his home debut following a long injury lay-off, looked a real prospect and frightened the Ipswich defence with his pace, but he did a lot of defensive work, too, and it didn't always pay off as he gave a penalty away early in the second half, which saw Ipswich equalise to cancel out Gareth McClearly's earlier strike.

I was also impressed with our new goalkeeper, Lee Camp, who has signed for three months on loan. I didn't think it was very fair that Paul Smith should be dropped, because the defenders in front of him are the ones to blame for our shocking start, not him, but Camp does look a lot better goalkeeper. He does everything that Smith doesn't. He commands his area well, has good distribution and doesn't flap at crosses. I hope he stays in the team, but I do feel sorry for Smith at the same time. Rumours are he was furious at being dropped last night and walked out – the fact that he wasn't even on the subs bench last night could give weight to that theory.

It's all very well having a good goalkeeper, but you've got to have a good defence, and I'm afraid to say ours is awful. There isn't one player who has been playing well this season. Both Kelvin Wilson and Wes Morgan have been shocking, and those two players were excellent last season, but they've just gone to pot in the Championship. Everything has been said a million times about Luke Chambers and Julian Bennett being our full backs, so there's no point going over old ground again, but the sooner they clear off the better, because they are both garbage. Bennett suffered a broken collar bone last night so faces two months on the sidelines. That's sad news for him, but Forest will not miss him, although his replacement Joel Lynch has failed to impress me since he arrived from Brighton. I thought it was an odd decision to sign him in the first place to be honest.

Had we won last night, we would have got ourselves off the bottom of the table as Doncaster lost at Reading, but instead we're six points adrift, and that gap will just get bigger and bigger. Confidence is at a very low ebb and I honestly can't see how we are going to turn it around. The whole Club is rotten from top to bottom. We were extremely lucky to win promotion on the final day. We were only really a top six side in League One last season, and would probably have capitulated in the play-offs if we hadn't sneaked into the automatic spots. I am beginning to wish that we hadn't got promotion now, because I am absolutely hating it in the Championship. All the fun has been sucked out of supporting Forest. I was so looking forward to this season, but now I just can't wait for it to end.

1 comment:

YorkshireTricky said...

Keep the faith Hannah, I still believe we acn get out of this mess we're in (of course if it all goes wrong on Nov 2nd then I'll revise that opinion).
We WILL NOT lose to D***y!
We WILL NOT go back to the third division!
Its not looking good but there is still hope we can turn this crappy season around.
YOU REDS!!!!!